May 19, 2010

I used to eat chicken...then I met a Mutant Chicken

It's not unusual for Jake to Bookmark things that he thinks I would like to read.  This is how I found Antiquity Oaks Blog.  I browsed for about 2 hours!  I think I may have read most of their posts.  My kids were a bit pissed at me!
I came across a post on Cornish Cross Chickens early on in my browsage that definately kept me wanting more...it also evoked strong feelings.  Mostly of disgust.  You know that feeling when you just want to jump around waving your arms like a crazy person while chanting ew! ew! ew! ew!...Yep that was pretty much my reaction to my new found knowledge.   


I love how she has called the CC chicks 'mutant chicken'.  You know the old adage 'You are what you eat'... well these birds have many 'problems'. Well at least I think they are problems.  
"The mutant chicks are half naked because their feathers can't keep up with their body growth. They just sit and eat. They remind me of the stereotypical overweight American sitting in front of the television, mindlessly eating and drinking beer. One of them looks like his back end is going to explode. It's ascite, a common disease in these birds, which leads to heart failure. Basically, he has developed hypertension from all the eating. From what I've read, it sounds like he's going to die prematurely."




I just think that a bird that I eat should be healthy and happy when it dies!  I don't think that is so much to ask for...is it?!  I am going to get my own heritage breed chicken next spring and I can't wait!  How am I going to live without eating chicken until then!? (ew...shiver)
You have to go read this!  Although it may cause you to never eat chicken from the grocery store again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.